Friday, February 29, 2008

Seoul Searching

Yup, I did it. I just used a cheesy soul cliché in the title. Watchya gonna do?

For fun these past few nights I've been cruising the streets around the ol' Dormy in my size 9's checking things out. I thought it'd be hard to find places to eat, what with not being able to read Korean and all. Fortunately a good deal of the restaurants have pictures on their menus so I can point and grunt for what I want. It's been great getting my fill of real Asian food. Even so, there are a Pizza Hut, Buger King, Outback Steakhouse, three 7-11's, two Dunkin' Donuts and of course Starbucks that I've found so far within walking distance if I get sick of the kimchee and bulgogi.

Walking, even on the sidewalks, is a dangerous affair. Traffic here is INSANE. When it gets really bad the scooter and motorcycle delivery drivers spill over onto the sidewalks. They rip on by at 90 miles an hour within inches of anyone walking along. Unfortunately the washing machine in my unit is all in Korean, so I haven't been able to wash all the soiled shorts from many an encounter with the insane Scootermen of the Apocalypse.

Ask my wife, I don't have much of a sense of smell. Regardless, a casual stroll through the streets of Seoul is a constant bombardment on the olfactory sense. With the myriad restaurants and street vendors the smells are varied and mostly pleasing and/or interesting. Occasionaly, though, a smell will hit your nose with a slightly off tinge. Must be a spot where a particularly startling scooter encounter occurred.

Here's a shot from my hotel window:



And bodgy stitched together photo of the full view:

5 comments:

Becky said...

sounds like the drivers there must make you homesick for utah ;)

great view. Much better then some random brick wall.

Lori said...

I liked your post. Being in new places always brings strange surprises. Sounds like you're livin' it up Korean style.

Peanut said...

Hey now, don't go stealing all my good Seoul Cliches...I'm going to need them.

Sonia B said...

Cool view. Do the scooter dudes get 5 extra points if they leave your shoes? Is Korean even close to Mandarin (some overlap or any similarities)? Hope you're having a great time.

Chris Kline said...

You're quite a good writer! Very enjoyable read. And not a bad view at all. Hope you get those shorts washed soon.